Information on the field
General information on cosmetics
- The EU is the biggest manufacturer of cosmetics in the world.
- The biggest cosmetics companies are multinational: Unilever (The Netherlands/Great Britain), L’Oréal (France), Wella (Germany), Sanofi (France) and Beiersdorf (Germany).
- The cometics industry provides work for 150 000 people directly and 350 000 people indirectly through trade, distribution and transport.
- The European Cosmetic, Toiletry and Perfumery Association (Colipa) has found out that people from Central Europe use at least six cosmetics products in the morning before leaving for work.
- The biggest manufacturers in Europe renew or modify 25% of their product every year.
- Altogether, approximately 10 000 ingredients are used in beauty products.
Legislation regarding the manufacturing and marketing of cosmetics
The EU banned animal testing of cosmetics on 11.3.2009
Diverse information concerning allergies, allergies related to cosmetics and ingredients used in cosmetics
A release by The Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority: What is safe cosmetics
What is organic cosmetics?
Tips and information about using cosmetics
Working as a journalist